Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sponge or Swab?


Leaving in different places and being exposed to different cultures, we learn that not everything in life has only one way. Basics as homework may very from one pattern to the other, depending where you are living in.

And by having countless experiences and sharing houses and office space with many other dear friends, I have learnt a lot throughout the years.

As example, there is a common dispute among housewives about the effectiveness of having dishes properly washed. Some say sponge is the best; others may prefer the dish brush and more conservative ladies will stand for the swab or cloth.

Now, I have questioned myself what is the right one, after trying them all. And do you know what I found out? There is no right or wrong, matter of fact way! I can have the same result using either or. The difference lies on doing it properly and keeping my preferred tool hygienically stored.

As small as this example may seem, it taught me a great lesson in life: we have to learn to cope with one another’s way of living.

Searching in the Bible for a verse or passage that would bring light to this though, I came across to God’s recommendation: “Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love” (Eph 4:2)

And then I was confronted with a very feminine reality: God wishes us to allow for other people’s mistakes, let alone for other people’s preferences however we want things done our way.

What is the right or the wrong? The right for me will always be my way of doing things, my way of looking at a situation, my way and my way. But is it really wrong other people’s way or is it wrong for me because it is just not the one I was brought up with, I am used to, I like, and the list goes on.

And as a result of each individual, mainly women, willing their own way to prevail, family structure is turning impossible to live with, relationships are being cracked, work relations are being strained, scholarship is unproductive and women cause less impact in society, specially within female groups.

There are certain things in life that are really wrong and we do not need to dispute about but others may be wrong for me alone so let us improve our inner self and learn from one another, let us leave our way behind and be opened to learn new things, let us allow for other people’s choices in our routine and you will see that life is more fun than you ever thought.

No comments: